December 1, 2011

“Skill and confidence are an unconquered army.” George Herbert


Rant and Tip for December 1, 2011

Quote: “Skill and confidence are an unconquered army.” George Herbert

Good Morning and welcome to the first day of December. Today’s quote is by George Herbert, he was a Welsh born English poet, orator and Anglican priest. Although this man does not to appear to be an athlete or even had a weight challenge he seemed to have a good handle on things. With this quote he tells us to reach into ourselves and find the skill and confidence needed to be that unconquered army. We all have this army within us. Sometimes though whether due to the way we are raise or just allowing ourselves to be victims of a toxic environment our confidence can be destroyed. When this happens we doubt ourselves and start some destructive habits. It is time for all of us to look within and move forward and build our confidence and look to hitting our small goals to reach our big goals. You can do it, you are worth it and when you reach that goal be a model person for all to admire and aspire to be like.

My diet is pretty good right now. I am still trying to find the right mix so as to only put on another 2 pounds or so of muscle so I can be sure to be able to make the 163-lb weight class for the world meet. I would like to maintain a daily weight of 167 so that dropping the 4-lbs before the meet is a matter of just reducing fluids the day before and then filling up on them again the next morning. The one thing I need to do is not obsess about the scale, if I do it will become to easy to fall into the mind set I need to eat less to get my weight down. The problem with this is putting your body into that catabolic state I have told you about before. We all know I cannot afford that. Really though neither can you. Why lose muscle when you can lose fat by making sure your calories are where they need to be through a healthy diet. Keep yourself on track and do not obsess on the scale. Take measurements and use that as a means for tracking.

Benching went well in the bench shirt last night. My stroke in the shirt is getting much better and we did go up to 385-lbs with some board presses. I am looking forward to handling 400-lbs. It amazes me to think that I will be pressing that weight in the next few months. The one thing I learned about the shirt is that there is a perfect zone in the shirt and if you do not hit that zone it does not load properly. If I bring the weight to far down on my chest I will miss the groove in the press and the weight will be harder to put up. I use to think that benching in a shirt was a form of cheating in the Bench Press lift. It isn’t, It is a totally different lift than a raw lift and both are due their respect. In my opinion, and this is just an opinion like the rest of my blog, The shirt helps you find out just how strong you are at the lock out of your lift. The biggest challenge many times is the load on your central nervous system. I need to remember that my central nervous system and joints come into the picture, and suffer a lot more from the abuse of weight training then my muscles. I am feeling that in my shoulders today. This is one thing I notice regularly from the bench shirt. I will be taking some ibuprofen later today and will be working my back and shoulders so I can squat on Friday.

Have a great workout!

Tip: When benching your set up is very important. When you set your shoulders on the bench squeeze your shoulders together like you are holding a coin between your shoulder blades. This gives you a stronger base to press from.

No comments:

Post a Comment