February 28, 2012

Nothing is softer or more flexible than water, yet nothing can resist it.”


Rant and Tip for February 28, 2012

Quote: “Nothing is softer or more flexible than water, yet nothing can resist it.Lao Tzu

I was looking for a quote on being flexible and ran across this one. Water is a very unique element and it is all around us to learn from. It is flexible in its ability to adapt to its environment and yet does not yield to adversity. Just look at the Grand Canyon, carved from water. No matter what form water takes or the course it pursues it is still strong and is always working. Yesterday I had originally planned to do squats. Well things did not work out that way. I ended up having to work my back, middle and lower trapezius and rear deltoids. I had run into a stumbling block and had to be flexible like water and change my routine. Like the water of a river, when it hits a wall it does not just stay there. It finds a way around the challenge and continues moving forward. We need to always keep ourselves fluid in our pursuits of health and fitness. If we come across a challenge that does not allow us to follow a planned routine, giving up is not an option, we need to drive forward and be flexible like water.

Yesterday was a good day as far as my water intake and my meal schedule. Since I am trying to reduce about 5 pounds of fat that is left on my body, I have reduced the number of grams of protein I have been consuming. I increased my dietary fiber through green vegetables and depending on how those pounds come off will be reducing carbs more as needed. My diet is ever changing depending on the event that I have coming up. I like to be a little heavier when I am trying to put on muscle mass and then lean out some for a meet. Tracking my food is very important and getting the proper amount of cardio helps as well.

I already mentioned that I had to change my workout routine yesterday do to some challenges that arose. Today I have a very busy day and probably will not make it to the gym. Although if I plan it right I may get to the training center tonight. Now that would be fantastic. Whatever your workout is today, whether it is going to be a brisk walk or a strength training session give it all you got. Give 100% be like water and be unyielding yet flexible at the same time.

Have a great workout!

Tip: Forward Lunge (http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/fitness/forward-lunge-tips)

Lunges are a great way to get your butt in gear. Since they involve several muscles and joints, lunges are a compound exercise, which means they burn big calories. Lunges get high marks in my book for versatility too. You can do them anywhere, and there are many forms to choose from to make sure you stay challenged. But first things first, let’s learn how to do the basic lunge movement and get those glutes, quads, hamstrings, and calves working.

Stand with your feet hip-width apart, with your weight on your heels. Pull your abdominals in and stand with your shoulders squarely over your hips.

Lift your left leg, leading with your heel, and step forward in an elongated stride. As your foot touches the floor, bend both knees until your left thigh is parallel to the floor and your right thigh is perpendicular to it. Your right heel will be off the floor. Exhale and press off the ball of your foot, stepping back into the starting position, and repeat, alternating legs.

Make sure that your forward knee never travels past your toes. Keep your eyes focused forward; if you look down, you might lose your balance. Keep your spine straight through the entire movement, with your shoulders always positioned squarely over your hips. And don't forget to keep those abs sucked in the entire time!


No comments:

Post a Comment