February 6, 2012

“Little strokes, Fell great oaks

Rant and Tip for February 6, 2012

Quote: “Little strokes, Fell great oaks.” Benjamin Franklin

The forefathers of this nation often had a great way with words. Benjamin Franklin was a great Statesman and Ambassador to the United States. He also had many quotable statements. “Little Strokes, Fell great oaks.” Now Mr. Franklin may not have meant the quote to be used in the fashion I plan to use it, I am sure he would be pleased with my adaptation. You see to me it is the small steps in life that make us successful and this really does include you diet and fitness goals.

For those of you embarking on a new way of life regarding how and what you eat, take the small steps that are necessary to be successful. If you are choosing a low carb lifestyle, and are a carbohydrate addict like I was the first step is to look around your home and see what has now become off limits to you. I do know some people that will go through the house and just throw out the food that is no longer on plan. Might I suggest instead donating these foods to the local food pantry.  If you find that this is a daunting task look for some help from family members and friends. Again it is the little things that will make you successful. When you shop for groceries be sure not to do it on an empty stomach. I never shop when I am hungry. Look to get your vegetables first. The ones with high fiber are the best choices. Lastly be sure to know the plan. If it is a lowcarb diet you are using then be sure to read the latest Atkins book. It has some great success stories in it. Including some people who had trouble losing the weight and lost it very slowly.

Little strokes fell great oaks also applies your strength condition as well. I had someone recently tell me that if you just increase your workouts 1 pound a week every week you body actually has a chance to get use to the weight and it is not such a shock to the system. I have not tried this as I am currently working another program but I am totally interested in giving this concept a try. In theory this type of workout should had 52 pounds to your workout. I would love to add 52 pounds to the 3 big lifts. However it does not have to be a powerlifting routine to use this concept. Any exercise program this can apply to. If you are new to performing cardio and you exercise regimen currently just consist of a brisk walk, try running for 30 second intervals. If that goes well increase to a minute, then increase a minute every week. In a years time you will be able to run a full 52 minutes.

I worked my deadlift and benched yesterday. My shoulder is feeling better but not 100%. It should be fine by the next shirt day. Today is my cardio day and the goal is to push myself and really get the heart racing. What are your workout goals today?

Here is your workout for today if you are following the outline I put in the exercise schedule link.


Monday: Legs
Squats- 4 sets 10
Calf raises- 4 sets 10
Thigh extensions if doing at home try sitting on a chair with a dumbbell held with your feet
4 sets 10
Lunges - 4 sets of 10 Leg curls - 4 sets of 10

Have a great workout!

Tip: Be sure to warm up the legs with body weight exercises before adding weight to the bar. Also do not forget to stretch after your workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment