February 29, 2012

Catch yourself when a negative thought crosses your mind


Rant and Tip for February 29, 2012


Quote:  “Catch yourself when a negative thought crosses your mind, and cancel it out by purposely replacing it with a positive statement.”
~ Carl Tuchy Palmieri, Satisfying Success

Negative thoughts can destroy any exercise program or diet that you are attempting to follow. You need to push these negative thoughts out or your head as soon as they try to enter. Replace them with a positive thought; imagine yourself pounds lighter or pounds stronger. Either one will take some time but both can be done at any age.

I met some nice people yesterday and we got to talking about diet and exercise. I was in a situation where I was sitting around for a long period of time and so I had gone to my car to get something to read. The only thing I had was the Parrillo Magazine I was in. I brought it in the facility and looked for an article I had not read yet. Some of the people there noticed the magazine and we all got to talking about health, diet and exercise. I was impressed with a statement one of the men had made. This gentleman had stated he had smoked for 19 year. He had trouble walking without getting winded and needed and more importantly wanted to quit. He told me the day his son was born he quit smoking. He now bikes in races and aside from some belly fat is in good shape. Now having quit smoking is a enormous life changing task in itself but how he stated he quit impressed me. He said “I quit 15 minutes at a time.” When he said that I thought to myself when people change their diet if they get a craving and just tell themself, I will wait 15 minutes and most likely the craving will pass. Changing your diet and eating habit or quitting smoking can happen 15 minutes at a time.

My weight is perfect 169 this morning and that puts me 4 pounds from goal for the March 24th meet. My diet is crisp with no cheating. As far as my training, I am feeling strong and great. My shoulders are feeling pretty good. I have started taking glucosamine with chondroitin, this really seems to help. Today will be a raw bench day and I hope to be doing some board work at Albany Strength tonight.

Have a great workout!

Tip: Lateral Raises is the best exercise to build side deltoids. No other exercise can target side/lateral deltoids like this. 
The key to dumbbell lateral raises is proper form. This means no swinging, no unnecessary movement of elbows and wrist.
Safety and Efficiency Tips
1. Raise the dumbbells to shoulder level only. Avoid raising them overhead . Keep a slight bend in your elbows as it stresses the elbow joints.
2. Always perform the Shoulder Exercises before you perform triceps. This sequence is very important because if you do triceps before shoulders, the triceps will fail early and you cannot lift heavier in shoulder press thus not stimulating delts enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment