November 29, 2011

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Rant and Tip for November 29, 2011

Quote: “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” Mahatma Ghandi

While some people may look at me and think that my strength came from my physical capacity, let’s ask ourselves where that physical capacity came from. I came from an indomitable will. Now while I have used the quote above and likened it to myself the real point to get across is that it takes willpower to succeed. Yes willpower! Willpower is something some people will tell you, that you have it or you do not. I think that it is a learned trait. You need to teach yourself to have willpower. It takes willpower to maintain a certain level of fitness and it takes willpower to obtain you dietary goals. Set yourself up with success by setting small willpower goals. I will be very honest with you in stating I do not like to run. I am not a huge fan long periods of cardio exercise. I get board easily. However when I am on a cardio cycle in my exercise I have to set small goals. If I am running outside I pick landmarks in front of me and push to get to that landmark, I then pick another landmark and push to that one. With in no time I have completed my 3-mile goal and I am done. You can do the same thing regardless of what your choice of exercise is. It may have looked like I had the willpower to finish the 3-miles but really I had the willpower to keep pushing a 100 yards at a time. HA HA I had you fooled.

Diet can be the same way. It is your will that will allow you to be successful. Your will is something you need to develop until the cravings go away. Once they are gone it gets easier to resist the sweets and foods that are not on your eating plan. I do not have a challenge anymore with cravings. Well at least I do not call them cravings. Don’t get me wrong there are days I will look at something and think to myself man that looks delicious. On those occasions it is not hard to resist anymore. Remember to keep track of your foods and when you hit a stall or plateau in your weight loss switch it up a little bit. Add some more fibrous carbohydrates and increase your fats a bit. If you are tracking your foods properly you will be able to zero in on the challenge.

Today I will be squatting. I will start with a new 5 X 5 workout. I will start with 270 and do 5 set of 5 and then next week bump it 10 pounds and do 5 sets of 5. When I hit the point I cannot get the 5th set of 5 out I will stay at that weight and continue to press through until I get all 5 sets of 5. Then I will bump up the weight again at 5-pound intervals. Let’s see how this goes for me.

Have a great workout!

Tip: When you first start squatting with dumbbells place a board on the ground and put the balls of your feet on it. Keeping your heal on the floor. This will help make sure your knees do not go over your toes and will improve your form.

No comments:

Post a Comment