September 7, 2011

Dr. Anton Reel And my normal Rantings


Quote of the Day “We are not getting older, we are merely aging” Dr. Anton Reel 92 year old Powerlifter!

Good Morning everyone, I wanted to reference a post I made last week on Rant and Tip for August 30, 2011. I talked about lifting as we get older to maintain strong bones and a healthy firm body. Well I met a gentleman who lives and breathes these sentiments. He is Dr. Anton Reel; he was one of the participants at the USAPL Bench Press Nationals. He works out regularly and competes every year. Some of the guys that have competed for several years’ just call him Dr. A. He really is an amazing individual. Of course he had his family there to cheer him on and while he was not pressing weight men half his age were he was still there can pushing himself to be the best he can be. We can all learn from his quote above. While we may age we do not have to let ourselves get older.

Back to working out for me. Yesterday I got back into the swing of things with squats. I warmed up with some lightweights at sets of 10. Remember some time ago I mentioned it take my legs more time to warm up then it does my chest and arms for a bench press. After warming up I started my 5X5 workout. It was a standard pyramid type of workout. Starting with a lighter weight and incrementing to 270. After that was complete I did ¾ squats with 340 for a set of 10. The weight felt great on my shoulders and I plan on getting lower every week with this amount on my shoulders for multiple reps. My squat will be ready for the December meet in Albany and my Raw meet in March.

I will be changing my diet again to make sure I have the additional fuel I need to increase strength and add some muscle mass. This will be increasing my protein intake back up to 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per pound of lean muscle mass. Also increasing my fats for fuel and some complex carbs that will be used for additional fuel and replace my glycogen stores for muscle growth. I will continue to stay away from simple sugars, which include breads, and pastas. This will ensure that any additional weight I put on should be muscle. I think I can put on another 5 to 10 pounds of muscle and still compete at the 163 or 165 LB weight classes. The key here my friends, is to make sure you body has the fuel it needs to get stronger and not get into starvation mode. Many people when they go on a diet make the mistake of not eating enough. Then they wonder why they do not lose weight. What happens is your body tells itself to keep any extra body fat it has because it will be needed for fuel. So eat but eat the proper fuel.

Have a great workout!

Tip of the day:

These are tips for the seniors that are looking to make changes in their lifestyle.
1. Get medical clearance from your doctor before starting an exercise program, especially if you have a preexisting condition. Ask if there are any activities you should avoid.
2. Consider health concerns Keep in mind how your ongoing health problems affect your workouts. For example, diabetics may need to adjust the timing of medication and meal plans when setting an exercise schedule.
3. Above all, if something feels wrong, such as sharp pain or unusual shortness of breath, simply stop. You may need to scale back or try another activity
4. If you haven’t been active in a while, it can be harmful to go all out. Instead, build up your exercise program little by little.
5. Stop exercising immediately and call your doctor if you feel dizzy or short of breath, develop chest pain or pressure, break out in a cold sweat, or experience pain. Also stop if a joint is red, swollen, or tender to touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment