July 15, 2011

Rant and Tip for July 15, 2011

Good Morning blog followers, another day of healthy eating and exercise behind us. For those who just started their exercise routine, they say it takes 21 days to form a new or break an old habit. You are one day closer to Exercise becoming a habit and you came become addicted to the endorphins a good workout releases into your body. I know I am. I have recently been told I am obsessed with working out and I guess I am. Really though it is more of a mid life crisis that just so happens to be saving my life. As many of you have read on the page “Who is Wesley (Jim) Kipp”, I was fat and not just out of shape but unhealthy. I am proof that you can turn your life around and create the new habits to maintain those changes.

I worked my core pretty hard today, which means I will have DOMS in the morning through out my core. I just hope nobody makes me laugh. Think about it, your abs are sore, and you start laughing, coughing, or sneezing, and you can feel it. I know it may sound funny but when I get DOMS in the core, I tend to laugh and this just makes it hurt more. Sick yeah I know! It is very important to work the core on a regular basis. I suggest weighted core exercises once a week. Just like you work the rest of your body with weights it is a good idea to do the same with your core. I have said you can work your core nightly. The nightly core workouts are just simple crunches with out weights, and just 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps. Save the heavy stuff for once a week. A powerlifter works his or her core on a regular basis with the squat and deadlift exercises.

Traditional abs exercises, like sit-ups and crunches, focus on the rectus abdominis, but it's important to work all the core muscles because one weak area can cause poor posture and make you susceptible to injury. The best core exercises involve moving your limbs while stabilizing your abs. One tool for working the core muscles is the exercise, or stability, ball. It's effective because you have to balance on the inflated ball while exercising, which engages your core.

Have a great workout!
Tip

There are many exercise videos available using the balance ball. Bicep curls and dumbbell bench presses on the ball will work the core pretty well. If you do not have an exercise ball you can get one here.

No comments:

Post a Comment