August 24, 2011

Rant and Tip for August 24, 2011

Quote of the day:

“One should eat to live, not live to eat.” ~Cicero, Rhetoricorum LV
Man, I just love that quote!

Good Morning, I had the pleasure of watching a water skiing show last night. It was nice to watch and I thought to myself how strong the people must be on the bottom of the pyramid must be. Their legs are constantly engaged while the boat is pulling them. Their shoulders back and arms are engaged holding the rope and they have to keep their bodies tight while the people climb up them to create the pyramid. Nice job guys! It was a nice family outing.

There are many people around me that are on one diet or another. Many of who will come to me with questions regarding how I lost my weight and if I can help them. Inevitably we have a conversation about the way I eat and I go through a half an hour to an hour of how the body reacts to food as fuel. They seem excited to make the changes to their diet. However a week later they are back to their old bad eating habits. I guess it all comes down to really wanting to make the change. Just like a smoker not being able to quit smoking unless they are truly ready, if you are not really ready to make the changes to your diet that are necessary you will not be successful either. You have to tell yourself you can do this and that you are worth the change. For me it was easy, I chose a low carb lifestyle and since I love meat and lots of vegetables and enjoy not worrying about the fats I have been successful. I was ready to make a permanent change in my life eating habits. My children needed me and I so wanted to be there for them. There were the selfish reasons as well. I wanted to look better and I think I do. Very few people ever think I am 49.

Today in the gym I warmed up and performed my opening lift. I then worked out with 75 to 80% of my max with all three commands. That is when my lifting partner remembered to give them. LOL. A new exercise we have been doing is benching in the cable machine. This really works the stabilizing muscles in the shoulders. The cables want to go in all different directions as you press up and you have to use your stabilizers to hold it in a steady upward motion. Depending on how I feel on Friday I may try for a gym personal best. Then it will be a full week of rest. There will be no lifting for the entire week. This will give my body time to deload and be ready for Saturday September 3rd. You do not have to worry about deloading or working your benching twice a week. If you follow one of the routines on this blog you will be successful in getting fit. We are not all meant to be powerlifters or marathon runners. However we can all be fit and feel great getting there.

Have a great workout!

Tip:
Keep a photo of yourself at your heaviest where it is needed most. If eating bad foods is your issue put the pic in the kitchen, on your fridge, in your pantry, in your freezer, or on your counter,wherever you are going to see it before eating foods that you know you don’t need to eat. If your issue is exercise, put that pic on your closet door to remind you to grab your sneakers, put it next to your alarm clock so that when you go to hit “snooze” you see it and decide to get up and exercise instead. I keep mine in my cell phone.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome rant today Jim, need to get revved up on the exersise again, my core is weaker again. I can tell my back is starting to hurt again where I had a pinched siatica, looking for my biggest mama pic to put by my alarm clock, great idea ;)

    Steph :)

    ReplyDelete