April 28, 2011

Rant and Tip for April 28, 2011

Good Morning Everyone,

Well I have a serious case do DOMS today. If you do not know what DOMS is well it stands for, Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. If you are just starting out this can be a frightening experience, if not frightening a bit of a surprise. What happens is when you work out hard you get tiny tears in the muscle. These tears need to heal and when they heal the muscle becomes a little larger and stronger. DOMS is a good thing and you will get to a point where you look forward to it. However sometimes as we get older and the muscles get use to the process you may not feel the soreness as intensely, don't worry this is OK and you are still building strength and power. Today I will be working shoulders, lateral and front raises, and I will do what I call walking the ladder with the dumbbell rack. I start with a low weight and hit each dumbbell in the rack for sets of 5 then I go back down to about 50 lbs and hit them for sets of 10 till I hit muscle failure. Friday I should be good an sore but ready for squats.

Tip of the Day:

If your are just starting out take it easy. Especially if you have not worked out before. Too many times someone new will attack working out with such fierce intensity that the DOMS they feel the next 2 or 3 days is not a motivator but more a reason not to do it again. Eventually you will look forward to DOMS and later when you don't get it you may wonder if you worked hard enough. I once read an article that basically stated if you hated working a certain muscle group you just might be doing it right or maybe you need to hit it harder, but that is a post for another day.

Have a Happy Work Out

No comments:

Post a Comment