September 20, 2012

Really BPA is making us fat?



Rant and Tip for September 20, 2012

Quote: “The individual who says it is not possible should move out of the way of those doing it.” Tricia Cunningham


Yesterday I was getting my morning coffee like I usually do and the woman behind the counter started quoting an article she read that the BPA in bottles is altering our DNA and making us fat. Basically the article stated that the chemical used in preventing corrosion in cans and bottles it making fat cells bigger and it disrupts the balance of estrogen and testosterone in our bodies. OK the first thing I said to her was, “Do you drink beverages out of cans and bottles” of course she said yes, and I said to her “Well you are not obese.” I guess my point here is we are always looking for excuses as to why we put on weight and I acknowledge that as we get older our metabolisms slow down or we have to work harder to keep them revved up. If this is the case then we simply need to eat better. 

Do you also think that maybe it has to do with all the soda or sugary drinks you are drinking in those containers? Even Gatorade has a lot of sugar in it. Seriously I have never seen someone who is on the treadmill everyday and working it hard, drinking out of their water bottle get fat from drinking all that water from a bottle that may be lined with BPA. 


Now back to the quote, I was fat, 40 pounds overweight. I do drink water from a water bottle. Most of the time I do the dreaded refill of a water bottle I purchased, I know they say it is not the most sanitary thing to do, but I do it anyway. Also I was once told it was because of BPA that you should not. Enough already do not tell me it is not possible to get fit and stay that way while drinking from a container that may have BPA.
Now my next statement is kind of in the reverse of the above. While I do not think BPA is making us fat, I do not believe that chemicals in our beverages are the answer either. If you can get containers that do not contain BPA that will definitely be better for you. Just do not tell me your water bottle is making your FAT!
PHEW that was a rant and a darn good one I think. 

Sometimes it becomes necessary to change up our diet a little. When eating a low carb diet, if you find you hit a stall, try increasing your carbs a bit. Do this in 5 net carb increments. As you increase 5 net carbs per week, watch the scale, once you notice it move up or down stay at that level for a week. If it went up it should start coming down again at that level, if not start dropping the carbs back down again. If it continues to go down, stay at that level and maintain there for a bit.

Exercise is vital to help you reach your weight loss goals. There needs to be some type of cardio event to escalate the process. This can be in the form of the traditional cardio exercises like biking, running and even walking. It can also be achieved with weight training with higher reps with less rest between reps. Either way find one that you enjoy and keep it up.

Have a great workout!

Tip: Plan each day but take them one day at a time. Understand that life can throw you a curve ball, but to be successful you need to learn how to hit it.

 
I have my raw bench back up to this level and maybe more. Hopefully I can keep my right foot from moving next time

2 comments:

  1. I just read this in someone's blog and it's pretty crazy. It makes me think about the people who blame McD's for them getting fat...ummm...

    It's so true. We live in a culture where we can't take responsibility for ANYTHING, including what we put in our mouths. Chile is trying to ban Happy Meal toys because they are too enticing to children and children are becoming obese because they're eating more Happy Meals. Let's completely miss the fact that the parents are buying that food for their kids to eat.

    I'm not healthy in the slightest, but I am currently working on that! Eating HEALTHIER and walking in the morning and trying to fit in some other strength training exercises. It's no one's fault but mine that I am obese. And I drank out plastic water bottles almost religiously at work. Including refilling them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH I see you get it. People have to take responsibility for their own health.!!!

      Delete