March 28, 2012

We may age, however we do not have to get old


Rant and Tip for March 28, 2012


Quote: “We may age, however we do not have to get old”

I like to think that as time goes by I become a fine wine or a good cheese. Both these items age to perfection are at their best as time goes by. We as humans can do the same thing. We need to take care of ourselves to get there though. We need to eat sensibly and get proper exercise in on a regular basis. If we become stagnant that is when problems start to arise. Now there are some things that are almost uncontrollable and we have to deal with the cards that are dealt to us. However other conditions can be fought and fought hard to either reverse or at least lesson the effects on our bodies. High blood sugar and hypertension are just to conditions that can benefit greatly from proper diet high in dietary fiber and other healthy vegetables. Vegetables combined with the proper amount of protein and healthy fats helped along with exercise have helped me get my blood pressure down as well as my blood sugar. The secondary benefit was increased stamina and I look healthier.

As I get older there are some rather uncomfortable things that start to be required in my yearly physical exam. Yeah that is right I am talking about areas clearly marked for exit. It is suggest by medical professionals that all males get a digital prostate exam annually after age 45 and definitely after age fifty. Well in planning for this uncomfortable exam I tried to think of ways to make it less invasive. So I chose a woman doctor. My thought was that she would have small narrow fingers. Well I was right she did have small narrow fingers. My mistake was the fingers were short and let me tell you it was horrible and I felt like she was digging for gold. However apparently this is just another phase of life that we all have to look forward to. I will not complain though because the fairer sex has had to endure much worst humiliation over the years and they have to start much sooner in their life. The whole purpose for the digital rectal exam is to check for abnormalities in the prostate. Of course for me I always think the worse and end up looking up information on the web. There is a ton of information out there. HIFU is a minimally invasive acoustic surgery that is gaining speed in the treatment of prostate cancer. I encourage all men to read about HIFU.

Workout for me today will be top end work on the bench press. I am thinking a lot of close grip board work. I will also put the shirt on again just to work on my set up and get the stroke down.

Have a great workout!

Tip: You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.
Fact: One of the more damaging myths of aging is that after a certain age, you just won’t be able to try anything new or contribute things anymore. Quite the contrary. Older adults are just as capable of learning new things, thriving in new environments, and sharing their wisdom and experience with many generations.  If you believe in yourself and have confidence in yourself, you are setting up a positive environment for change no matter what your age.

No comments:

Post a Comment