October 28, 2011

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general

Rant and Tip for October 28, 2011

Quote: “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.” Mark Rippetoe

I found this quote while looking for powerlifting quotes and while I am sure this was meant as a quote regarding actual strength in lifting, I believe it applies to life in general. It is the will of a strong man or woman that will keep them going forward. History is filled with people who while not big in size and so strong willed they accomplish the seemingly impossible. We all need to be strong in our resolve to accomplish our goals and stretch to achieve what others see as an impossible task. If you are extremely over weight and are looking at what seems like the impossible task of losing 100 lbs rest assured it has been accomplished and it has been accomplished without being on a TV show. I could give you a few names if you like.

Last night I worked in my bench shirt again. It was interesting again just getting the shirt on all the way. The stroke in a bench shirt is different and really uses a lot of tricep for the lift. After ever the past to sessions in the shirt I have also notices a lot of tightness in my shoulders. I have loose joints in my shoulders, I am able to point my shoulder blades out backwards. Last week when benching in the shirt the one scapula went in. This created a little pain in the lift. Not a big deal but it is a reminder that I need to make sure I keep everything very tight in the lift. Again it is very important to keep the shoulders in tight. Like trying to squeeze a quarter between the scapula. I have one more work out before the Gobbler Open in Binghamton NY. I am looking forward to this meet. So next week will be a light week and I will hit my opener for one and then see where the cards will fall on the 12th of November.

Back to my diet a bit. Only 5 pounds to lose before the 12th and that will come of with some good old fashion cardio, and a reduction in carbohydrate intake. Keeping my water intake up will also help me because is if I need to, I can stop drinking fluids 16 hours before the meet and shed 3 pounds in water weight if needed. I would rather not have to do that. I will also reduce my protein to 1 gram per lean body mass and this will help me maintain my current muscle mass and I will not lose any strength for the lifts in November. Now for most of you 1 gram per lean body mass is more than enough for you needs, even if you are following one of my current exercise programs on this blog site. Typically the average person only needs 4 to 6 ounces of protein with each meal, being breakfast, lunch and dinner.  This will keep you body from going into a catabolic state.

Have a great workout!

Tip: As a rule, if you are working out a lot as in 3 to 5 days a week do not worry about the scale. Take your body measurements and watch them go down in some areas and increase in others. Your waist should reduce while you chest increases. The difference between your wrist and forearms will change as well.

2 comments:

  1. I admire how dedicated you are. I am so NOT. But, I recognize as I get older I really must at least TRY to be a little healthier... Anyway, love the "useful" comment. Say, can you stop by and move some stuff for me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Next time I am out your way. LOL Where is that again?

    ReplyDelete