October 11, 2011

Doing Cardio before strength training is like


Rant and Tip for October 11, 2011

Quote: “ Doing Cardio before strength training is like filling up on snacks Thanksgiving day before the big meal” Wesley Kipp

Yes this is my own quote and I find t so true. Ask any trainer and they will tell you that if you are going to strength train and do cardio in the same exercise session, you should do the strength training first. Strength training is the main course. Cardio is your desert!

When you do your cardio first it robs you of the strength you need to make gains in your lifting exercises. Even if you are performing an upper body exercise after doing your 30 minutes of running your upper body exercise will suffer, you will not be able to stress the muscle enough to see growth, and or gains in strength. You have read me say to do your cardio first thing in the morning before breakfast. This is meant to be done separately from your strength training session. When I do my cardio in the morning I will strength train several hours later. This way I get the benefits of kick starting my metabolism and have the time to eat to fuel my body for a strength training session. If you need to do both in the morning by all means eat first then hit the weights and cardio after that. Remember if you fill up on those snacks you do not have the capacity to really enjoy that big dinner.

Some people have consistently asked me how I fuel up for my training sessions. When I first started losing the weight I was in the very early stages of the Atkins diet and kept my carbs pretty low. I lost the weight fast and followed the rungs of the Atkins ladder. I fueled my body with healthy fats, nuts, olive oil on my salads, cooking with butter, yes butter can you believe it. The avocado became my best friend, it is rich in omega threes and was able to really fuel me before a training session. As I moved through the phases of Atkins I added more carbohydrates, however only complex carbohydrates. This seems to work well. I learned that my body can handle a potato before a workout and a yam afterwards and still maintain or even lose weight. I have put on several pounds of muscle since then and have gotten stronger. If you choose to live a low carb lifestyle you should read the book first and learn the program, learn what it is and what it is not. I will tell you this, I have never eaten so many vegetables in my life and love every bite.

Have a great workout!

Tip: Form your own opinions! There is a saying opinions are like belly buttons (ok I changed that for the younger readers of this blog) Everyone has one. Definitely read my opinions but you should read a little for yourself from other sources and determine what is best for you. You are the one that has to be happy with your life style change. Nobody Else!

No comments:

Post a Comment