October 17, 2011

Rant and Tip for October 17, 2011


Quote: “ The physically fit can enjoy their vices” Lord Percival

Lord Perceval was a British Statesman and He is the only British Prime Minister to have been assassinated. Unfortunately being physically fit did not help him.


When we are physically fit, our vices and our bodies can tolerate them much easier, not that I have any of course. HA only kidding!!! We all have those little things we do that may not be the healthiest thing for us. However with proper exercise and a diet that is as healthy as it can be we can at least slow down any negative affect our vices have on us.

This past weekend again was a busy weekend. Between the mother of my children working and my children have activities and homework it was much non-stop for all of us. I must say though, my sister in-law was a big help taking my son to his game. Family is very important and I am lucky in that my in-laws are able to help out so much with when a weekend like this past weekend comes along.
Back to exercising and I want to talk about lunges. I have decided to work my legs twice a week as they are the weakest part of my physique and I know I need to get them stronger for some big lifts in the squat and deadlift. Someone suggested lunges. Now while I was doing them, I may not have done them correctly and on the third lap around the gym and a good amount of sweat I pulled something in my upper quadriceps. Just about where everything connects to the hip. It is all good now and I am hoping it was just some deep stretch that took place but I thought it would be important today to talk about proper form for the lunge.

The 8 Key Tips to Mastering Forward Dumbbell Lunges

Tip #1 – Stand Up and Hold One Dumbbell In Each Hand.

Tip #2 – Turn and Keep Your Palms Facing Inward.

Tip #3 – Raise and Keep Your Head Up.

Tip #4 – Keep Your Back Straight.

Tip #5 – Place and Keep Your Feet About a Foot Apart.

Tip #6 – Inhale and Step Forward With Your Right Foot in One Smooth Movement.

Tip#7 – Lower Your Right Thigh Until It Is Parallel to the Floor; Do Desired Number of Reps, Then Switch Legs.

Tip#8 – Keep your abs tight during each lunge. This will also help keep your back straight.

Final Precaution:

Do not bend the knee behind you until it is a few inches from the floor. If done properly, you should feel the stretch in the buttocks and the hamstrings (the muscles behind the thighs). Keep youc

Have a great workout!


No comments:

Post a Comment