June 26, 2012

The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining. – John F. Kennedy


Rant and Tip for June 26, 2012

Quote: The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining. – John F. Kennedy


The above quote is for all of us, even those of us who feel we are already in shape and those who just happen to have one of those gifted metabolisms, that allow them to eat anything. As we get older our metabolisms slow down and when this happens those years of poor eating habits will catch up with you. You see many folks who hit there late 40’s and early 50’s and all of a sudden they hit a wall. They start putting on weight, lose muscle tone and everything just seems to go south. This has a lot to do with lower testosterone levels as we get older and the fact your metabolism slows down. As the quote above indicates, now is the time to get your diet, and fitness plans in place. It is much harder to pull everything in line once the storm hits.

I didn’t get to squats yesterday and have altered my schedule to get them in today. I did get a lot of stretching in yesterday. Done properly even stretching can produce a sweat. I am working with Cindy Stone of Sonshine fitness. I had an assessment done on the flexibility of my back and found that my upper back is extremely tight and this is hindering my arch. She is helping me correct that issue and increase my arch which in return will increase my bench. Yesterday while setting up I thing I also figured how I can get my traps up more on the bench. It involves my set up and I will continue to work on that as well.

I thought I would address the Avocado today. Although this food is a fruit it lacks all the sugars that must fruits have. Instead it is loaded with Omega 3 fats. Avocados have 35% more potassium than bananas and are high in vitamins, B, E, and K. They are also high in fiber and 75% of that fiber is insoluble. I personally like to just cut it in 2 and eat it with a spoon. It is a great way for a person who eats low carb to fuel their workouts.

Have a great workout!

Tip: How to open or peel an avocado.
Grip the avocado gently on one side with one hand. With a large, sharp knife in the other hand, cut the avocado lengthwise around the seed. Open the two halves by twisting them in opposite directions to expose the pit. Next is to remove the pit. This can be tricky but can be done with a spoon or a large knife. I prefer the knife method but you need to do it safely. First in your non-dominant hand place a folded kitchen hand towel in your hand, this is to protect your hand from a missed stroke with the knife. While holding the half of the avocado in the toweled hand take the knife and with a quick stroke tap the bottom edge of the knife into the pit. The pit will stick to the knife and can easily be pulled out.



3 comments: