March 30, 2012

“Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong"


Rant and Tip for March 30, 2012

Quote: “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong" Calvin Coolidge

As I was looking for a quote for today’s blog I came across this one by President Calvin Coolidge. What struck me is how in our relationships when we experience a level of achievement there is always at least one person who will try to take away from your accomplishment. Society has a tendency to do this and I certainly hope this is not our true human nature. When someone does this to you believe in your heart that the challenge is not with you but with the person that is making the attempt to break you. Do not let this happen to you. Take control of the situation and politely walk away with a smile on your face. One of the things that impresses me at the meets I have been at is how supportive all the lifters are to each other. Maybe it is the fact we are exerting ourselves so much on the weights there is a level of respect that is automatically given to each lifter.

I recently was doing some reading and came across a study that indicated that people who go on crash diets or have been yo-yo dieting end up crushing their metabolisms. The findings suggest that moderate diets change how the brain responds to stress and may make crash dieters more susceptible to weight gain. One in every three Americans is now obese. “Yo-yo dieting,” temporarily losing weight only to regain it, plus more, is a well-known phenomenon. Studies have indicated that a lifelong diet that is used as a way of living is much better than any temporary fix. Very little is known about the long-term consequences of quick-fix diets. Yo-Yo dieting can increase levels of the stress
hormone corticosterone, it is known that the release of this hormone actually hinders weight loss and actually increases fat in the body. It is very important to learn to eat to live instead of living to eat. When you eat to live you are no longer dieting is the sense that you are familiar with. Your diet becomes how you eat and your way of life. You will no longer be going on crash diets because you will be eating just what your body needs. 

Friday is leg day for me. I will not be doing squats, however I will be doing leg presses along with leg curls and possibly lunges. I want to be careful to save my shoulders for the big bench session on Sunday with Sebastian Burns. I have made some real progress with him in just one session and I am looking forward to another great day Sunday.

Tip: For you ladies looking to get rid of the bye-bye arms, working your triceps is vitally important. Go to my Exercise Video page and follow the routine for your triceps. 



No comments:

Post a Comment