January 18, 2012

Some people dream of great accomplishments, while others stay awake and do them

Rant and Tip for January 18, 2012

Quote: “Some people dream of great accomplishments, while others stay awake and do them” via Danielle Luedtke

I had never heard this quote till this morning. It really made me think about how I use to wish I could lose weight. How I would sit back and just dream about what could be. I still have things in my life that I need to stop dreaming about and just do them. However others I know longer dream about and have fully awakened and I am doing my best to accomplish them. Pick one of your dreams and stop dreaming about it and put together a plan to get it done.

Yesterday was Tuesday and during my lunch I chose to get my squats in. They went very well and I was pleased with my results. One of the things I like to do is load the bar and just get use to the weight. Yesterday for whatever the reason I had the bar resting perfectly on my shoulders. It was like the bar found the sweet spot and just rested comfortably on my shoulders. Remember I had stated I was not going to train real heavy in the squat until after the world Bench Press meet and I am still going to hold to that. I finished my workout yesterday with a set of 3 at 350 pounds. It really felt great and I felt strong. As you approach your workout today find that sweet spot in whatever you are doing. It makes your lifts so much easier. When you are in the right grooved you whole body becomes in tune with it and you will feel great and most likely feel stronger.

As we talk about you diet today lets address the packaging of foods. When you shop I have heard that the front of the package is “Real Estate owned by the manufacturer” so obviously they want to pretty it up. However when you shop you need to turn the package over and read the Nutritional Facts on the back. Some things to keep in mind are very simple and very basic. If you are a carbohydrate counter like myself you need to know how to get to the net carb count. You take the total Carbs, subtract the dietary fiber and the sugar alcohols. This gives you a net carb count. The only part that gets tricky here is for every 20-sugar alcohol I add 1 carb back in. Many people still think that if an item is low in fat that it has to be good for them. In actuality a better way to look at is to get foods with healthier Omega 3 and monounsaturated fats to get the some benefits for your heart. Lastly one more thing to look out for is the sodium. If it contains more sodium than calories it is a food I like to stay away from.

Some of you may wonder what monounsaturated fats are. I went to www.heart.org to get the answer for you.

From a chemical standpoint, monounsaturated fats are simply fats that have one double-bonded (unsaturated) carbon in the molecule.  Monounsaturated fats are typically liquid at room temperature but start to turn solid when chilled.  Olive oil is an example of a type of oil that contains monounsaturated fats.

Monounsaturated fats can have a beneficial effect on your health when eaten in moderation and when used to replace saturated fats or trans fats.  Monounsaturated fats can help reduce bad cholesterol levels in your blood and lower your risk of heart disease and stroke.  They also provide nutrients to help develop and maintain your body’s cells.  Monounsaturated fats are also typically high in vitamin E, an antioxidant vitamin most Americans need more of.

Most foods contain a combination of different fats.  Examples of foods high in monounsaturated fats include vegetable oils such as olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil and sesame oil.  Other sources include avocados, peanut butter, and many nuts and seeds.


Have a great workout!

Tip: Target your weakness and make it a strength. If you have an exercise that you just hate doing because you do not do t well or are weak in it. Work harder on it and make it a strength. I know that this is easier said then done but if you really push yourself you will get there and be much happier



No comments:

Post a Comment