November 9, 2011

Exercise should be regarded as tribute to the heart.

Rant and Tip for November 9, 2011

Quote: “Exercise should be regarded as tribute to the heart.” Gene Tunney

I do not much to add to this quote, I think that Gene put it very well. I guess the only thing to add is that it is a tribute to yourself not just your heart. You are taking into account that proper exercise is essential to your well being and you do in fact pay tribute to yourself.

My weight is at 167.2 today which is a good spot to me for a Wednesday before a meet. Normally I would be working back, shoulder or my second chest day today. I like to work with the bench shirt on Wednesdays when possible. However with the meet on Saturday it is still a week of rest. I will go to the gym and get some cardio in. I recently found that I have the same protein deficiency my mom had when she passed. It affects the respiratory system and I plan on keeping myself in top shape to make sure that I stay healthy. Cardio can only help with this situation.

It is an Alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency. The only treatment is an intravenous replacement therapy, which at this point is not necessary. This can lead to emphysema and or liver disease. Like I said I am going to maintain my physical activity so as help maintain my current health. It is not that I have any of the symptoms at this time it just showed up in some blood work I had done. This is a hereditary condition and many times goes miss-diagnosed. Funny sometime in my later years I could end up with a condition that is related to smoking and yet I am a non-smoker. I am advised, to stay avoid second hand smoke as well. There are extended family members that do smoke and this will be a challenge when visiting them. While I am not concerned about a shorter life span at the moment, it does raise some questions. We never know what curve ball that life is going to throw at us. Knowing what I know now I promise you I will not sweat the small stuff and I will not allow other people to make my life miserable either. We all have choices to make in life and I choose to be happy and healthy to the best of my ability.

Have a great workout!
Tip: Purge the bad things in your life and keep the good!

3 comments:

  1. Just found your blog Jim and love it. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm on the second month of a pretty strenuous fitness quest myself right now and seeing what you've accomplished in such a relatively short time gives me encouragement. Any tips for how to keep on the journey (especially the diet part!) when the rest of one's family is glued to the couch AND brings home sweets and treats on a regular basis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, Lynn this is not an easy task. I have the same situation at home. To the point some people like to tell me I do not know how to live. I have to say that I eat this way to live better. You have to set you mind to the fact you are doing this for you and not for anyone else. Let them see the results. They will either get off the couch or sit eating there bon bons wondering why you look better than they do.

    Remember do it for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jim,
    Keep it up.
    You are already an inspiration for many of your readers.
    Emiliano

    ReplyDelete