June 21, 2011

Rant and Tip for June 21, 2011


Good morning everyone. As I sit here I wonder what to talk about. I did chest yesterday around noon and then again last night. I am not sure if this was a good idea or not. I am curious what some of my friends who are trainers will actually think of this. At around lunch time I did chest higher weight 5 sets of 5 then worked my way up to a max with single reps. Then last night I pound out set of 8 to 10 till failure. It felt great last night and I do have some DOMS this morning. It was one of those days where I truly felt I just wanted to workout for hours, and push myself to the max. During the day I worked out with my gym partner, and last night I flew solo. Sometimes when it is just you and the weights you can push harder than with the spotter. The mind set becomes fight or flight and I prefer to fight the weight and get it up. I will tend to push extra hard at these moments. At least when I am benching. I have to fail a few more times to be able to push like that during a squat. My squat rack is definitely set up in a fashion that if I hit failure I will not get hurt. I just have to be fearless and allow myself to fail and learn to trust the equipment. When you have a spotter you can get caught up with the thought, “Oh he/she will help me if I start to get stuck”. Instead try to adopt the mindset I will not fail in front of this person. Always do you best.

Have a great workout!

Tip: When spotting a person in a workout and they hit failure do not pull the weight up, help just slightly, to allow them to keep pushing through to complete the lift. Lift just enough for them to get the weight moving again. This will get the lifter pushing through the entire lift, and they will benefit greatly from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment