January 9, 2012

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Rant and Tip for January 9, 2012

Quote: “It is never too late to be what you might have been.” – George Eliot

Well I have to admit I truly believe in this quote. It is never too late to go after your dreams. There are people in the news all the time that get their doctorate late in life. People who like myself have had life control their destination instead of controlling their destination themselves. The first step for me to take control of my life was to start exercising and then taking control of my diet. Now I am working on doing something I never thought I would be doing in my life. Competing and winning powerlifting meets. Holding some records although just for my age and weight class records all the same. I do not know how successful I could have been had I competed 20 years ago, however I will tell you this, I will see where I can take this now. I may not have been a powerlifter in my youth, however I am now. I am also fit and as healthy as I can be.

Friday I had a very disappointing deadlift session. My form was horrible and I could not pull over 400-lbs. Being the competitive guy I am I went back to the gym Sunday morning. I worked with a light-weight concentrating on my form. As I increased the weight I became aware, with the help of a fellow lifter that I was not locking out my knees properly and my arms were not locked straight out. As I got into some heavier weight I noticed it pulled in my left pectoral muscle. This was because my arm did not stay locked straight out. I fixed that challenge and pulled 405 pretty easy. I can see 430 and maybe 450 by March. I would really like to get 450 by March. OK that is it, my mind is set, 450 it is. There are a couple things I will be playing over and over in my mind until the next day I work the deadlift. Keep my head looking up, a big breath and push my stomach against my belt, and to continue to drive with my legs. After nailing my form for the deadlifts I went to work on my form for squats. Again I did not go heavy at all. Only 205, I am really trying to develop some muscle memory. I want my body to know when it is deep enough with out me having to think about it. Once it hit proper depth, my muscles will now when to reverse direction and drive the weight up.

In regards to your diet, I want to refer back to the quote. It really never is to late for you to take control of your eating habits. You can and will make the PERMANENT changes needed to be successful. I still hear people refer to being on a diet. To me a diet is simply what you eat on a regular basis. You can have a good diet or you can have a bad diet. It is not something you just choose to go on and off depending on which way the wind is blowing. You make changes in your diet to live better. These are changes that need to become permanent in your life. You can and will make them permanent when you make the decision in your mind that you no longer want to live the way you have been.

Have a great workout!

Tip: I have already given you some tips for your deadlift, so I guess the best tip today I can give you is to tell you to apply those tips the next time you lift. I was told a story today of a guy who tore a bicep by not keeping his arms straight while performing the lift. The last thing any of us want is to have an injury occur that will put us on the side lines. 


No comments:

Post a Comment