September 13, 2011

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream

Dr. Anton and myself
Rant and Tip for September 13, 2011

Quote of the day: “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” ~C.S. Lewis

A friend of mine sent me this quote. I really think this is very appropriate. I was 46 when I started working out again and at that point in time I just set goals to get healthier and fit. When I reached the fitness level I originally wanted, I set another goal. As I get older I keep resetting my goals and dreaming new dreams. I did something yesterday I thought I would take me a lot longer to do. It was a goal I had set last January and really didn’t think I would hit it till next year. I am not ready to post about it yet but hopefully will be revealing it in November so stay tuned. As I was getting closer to my goal I kept shortening the time frame to reach that goal. Everyday I evaluate my goals and dreams and try to figure what is the best way to hit those goals. No matter what your age do not stop setting your goals and striving to make your dreams come true. Everyday can be an adventure in dream weaving and goal seeking.

I read a post today where someone said that they were getting tired of their breakfast routine. This was because they were restricting themselves to what society has dictated as breakfast foods. My advice to anyone who feels they are in a rut is to think outside of societal guidelines in regards to food. There is no reason a chicken breast or a piece of steak cannot be a breakfast food, maybe some asparagus or even sautéed broccoli can be added to your omelet to spice it up a bit. Broaden you mind and think outside of the box my friends. Experiment with your breakfast and make is something special. Remember eat like a king at breakfast, a nobleman at lunch and a pauper at dinner. A proper breakfast can really kick start your metabolism and give you a great start to the day.

Benching went well yesterday and I am looking forward to squats today. I will be concentrating on my form and focusing on leading with me backside and forcing me knees out as I force the weights up. For those of you that are just starting out or following on of my exercise programs I set up for you please be careful and do not use to heavy a weight that forces you to use poor form. This will cause you to get hurt and you may be out of commission for some time and this can affect your future motivation. Many people bite off more than they can chew when they first start working out again. When this happens they get hurt or experience DOMS longer than expected and then decide to not lift again because the pain they experienced is just too much for them. I don’t want this to happen to you so please start slow and as you progress increase the amount of weight and reps as appropriate.

Have a great workout!

Tip:
Perform a little analysis on yourself and determine what you need to be successful. Are you the type of person that needs their workouts to be a social event, or a very private event, or maybe a combination of the two? Are you disciplined enough to workout at home or do you need to put your gym time on a calendar to go to the local gym to be successful. I know for myself, that I need to keep the carrot just out of reach to make me keep pushing. If get the carrot too soon then I feel I cheated myself. If it is to far out it is easy to get discouraged. I like the gym environment but I also like the serenity of working out at home. So my friends perform some self-analysis and you will be successful

No comments:

Post a Comment