September 9, 2011

Rant and Tip for September 9, 2011

Quote of the day: A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world.
Paul Dudley White

For those just starting their exercise program, a vigorous walk my just be the way to go. Like any exercise it can release endorphins. The other benefit is you get to enjoy the outdoors and get some fresh air. Enjoy the birds singing and just the serenity of being outside.

I was sitting in the lunchroom at work yesterday and as happens many times got discussing my way or eating. This one young lady who is in training started asking me questions. I am very excited for her, because her first statement to me was “I am ready to make the changes”. I get really jazzed at the opportunity to help someone who comes to me with that attitude. She didn’t say I need to go on a diet, she was excited to hear what I had to say and seems very sincere in her quest. I cannot wait to help her. I am sure that she is going to be successful. I need to help her realize though this is a lifestyle change that she will need to embrace. We are all in this for the long haul.

I asked her what her exercise schedule was and she with a great deal of humor simply smiled and motioned her hands up and down her body, basically saying “Do I look like I exercise”. She knows that it will be part of the process and asked me where to start. I told her to start out walking and we would incorporate a strength-training regimen. I gave her my blog address and fully expect she will have some questions for me today. I did explain to her that as her body switches from burning excess carbohydrates to burning fats, she might experience flu like symptoms.

Now on to another issue I that can really be a problem when you workout. This is also an area I need to remember to do better and that is listening to your body when it comes to injuries. Yes you have heard this rant before. However, there is an added twist. Our friends or other gym partners in this case whether due to macho one up man ship or just because they do not know any better can sometimes egg us on and next thing we know we are doing something we should not. I know the result is a bunch of razzing by the guys if we have to cut a workout early when we feel something pop, but what you really need to do is take a moment and assess the situation. Make sure it is not something more serious. If you continue to exercise a torn muscle or a herniated disc you are just looking for trouble.

Have a good workout!

Tip: Walk yourself you don’t need a dog for it!

Take a quick walk around the neighborhood before breakfast or after dinner. Even small increments of daily activity can burn body fat. Walking not only tones your hips, legs and lower back muscles, but also keeps you energized throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment