May 7, 2012

Exercise is the chief source of improvement in our faculties.


Rant and Tip for May 7, 2012

Quote: “Exercise is the chief source of improvement in our faculties.” Hugh Blair

Good morning all and I hope you had a great weekend. I struggled with opening the pool all weekend and of course sporting events with the children.

Exercise really is the main ingredient to improving our health or faculties as Hugh Blair have said. I know many people while on the surface look like they could lose a few pounds but are otherwise healthy. This is due to the amount of exercise they get whether from the type of job they do or from the gym. They work hard and keep the heart pumping enough to keep the inner workings of the body healthy.

However I will say that in many cases these same people are still in danger and here is why. While they are healthy now eventually their activity levels will drop, especially if their exercise comes from on the job activities. These people have not taught themselves how to eat properly and once they retire or just do not make it to the gym the way they need to, they will put their lives in danger from over eating and due to eating the wrong foods. Diet and exercise need to go hand and hand.

I saw something this weekend that really has me thinking today. I have often mentioned that your cardio needs to be intense enough that your breath is labored, this making it difficult to talk during your cardio. Anyway while working outside I saw a neighbor, I do not know her, walking. She was dressed in typical female workout attire and was out for a walk. The one accessory I noticed that has me perplexed was she was carrying cell phone. OK I can understand carrying the phone in case something happened, an emergency at home or even during your run or brisk walk. However this was not the case with this woman. She was having a leisurely conversation with someone on the other end. Now here is my dilemma, I have said many times just get up get out there and get going. Some exercise is better than no exercise. This woman was a least out there trying to make a difference in her life. Then the other part of my mind kicks in and says “THAT IS NOT CARDIO, she is robbing herself of an opportunity to really get the most out of the activity.” I guess I have to be both happy for her and disappointed in her. If you follow this blog I hope you really try to get the most out of your exercise sessions.

I will be working legs today. All machines for me today, leg press, leg curls, leg extensions. I will also through in some lunges. I need to get bigger glutes to be able to get a better arch in the bench.

Have a great workout!

Tip: Always try to improve on your last workout session. This is how we get stronger and healthier.


1 comment: