May 2, 2012

Aging is not lost youth but a new stage of opportunity and strength


Rant and Tip for May 2, 2012

Quote: Aging is not lost youth but a new stage of opportunity and strength. Betty Friedan

Just found this quote today and was pretty excited about it. I feel it really applies to me. As I age I am finding more and more opportunities that I get to take advantage of. I also feel like I am able to continue to get stronger. With the world IPF Bench Press meet right around the corner the more strength I can get the better. As any of us age we need to take advantage of everything life has to offer. I encourage you to do the same.

Once you get your diet right you will find an abundance of energy that you did not have before. You need to apply yourself and take full advantage of your new found energy. As we get older it becomes more important to perform some type of strength training. As we strength train it helps us maintain healthy bones. It actually makes them stronger and more resistant to breaking. Even strength training using your own body weight can be most helpful. Yoga and simple calisthenics are an excellent place to start. However ultimately nothing beats a set of dumbbells to get the most out of strength training. Of course this is just my opinion.

Now for those of you inclined to give powerlifting a try I strongly encourage you to find a local gym and hook up with some people who have competed and can make sure your form is good. As you get stronger and start to press heavier weight you will find that form becomes more important. Powerlifting can be done at all ages as well. I have met many lifters way past retirement age.

Have a great workout!

Tip: If you are finding it difficult to maintain a strength training regimen then try scheduling it just like you do any other appointment. When you actually pencil in your training sessions in a planner it make them more definite. However keep in mind you still have to

No comments:

Post a Comment