September 10, 2012

Do not treat a disease with medicine that can be treated with diet and exercise



Rant and Tip for September 10, 2012

Quote: “No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.”  Maimonides (Jewish Philosopher)

I totally agree with this statement. Prior to changing my diet I had many health issues that were creeping up on me. I was 48 years old and my doctor had put me on high blood pressure meds and was considering something to get my cholesterol down as well as considering my sugar levels. I was a mess. December of 2008 was the month I took control of my life again. I started working at the gym at work and shed 5 pounds fast. However it was not until I changed my diet that the fat started coming off. I am sure the exercise brought down my blood pressure and was huge in getting my cholesterol as well, but I have to say exercise needed a changed in diet to really make a difference in my body composition. The two in my mind have to go hand in hand. To make a long story short my triglycerides dropped from 350 down to the teens. It was amazing. My doctor had to ask me to come back in month so he could check it again and the count had dropped another 2 points. My doctor asked me what I was doing. I told him everything you doctors always preach, proper diet and exercise. He asked about my diet and I told him I was following the Atkins plan. It made a believer out of him. Today I still follow the Atkins plan but I know it is not for everyone. Some people seem to do better on a low fat diet. I thrive on healthy fats and a lower carbohydrate count than what most of the population follows. It works for me.
I have recently been asked to speak at a local facility regarding nutrition and weight loss. I was very surprised at the request and pleased to have the opportunity to share what I have learned. I am not a nutritionalist and these people are aware of it. However they have seen the transformation in me and are aware of the strides that I have made. This will be a great opportunity. I am so looking forward to it.

The call for today will be squats. With a USAPL meet just a month and a half away I will be concentrating on heavy weights for singles today and getting my numbers straight in my head for the meet. I need to figure what my opener will be as well as my trainees opening numbers. Then what is to be our final lift. Of course the final lift can change depending on how we are felling that day. I am hoping to hit a solid squat over 370 for that meet and will be over loading until then so that weight feels easy. I know this does not seem like a lot to many of my PL friends. However it is a work in progress for me. A squat over 400 s just around the corner for me.

Have a great workout!

Tip: When squatting you need to drive through your heals and keep your chest up. Also make a point of forcing your knees out and not let them come in. This will give you more power to drive the weight up.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Baylor and I love when I get comments. So keep them coming. If you see I way I can improve the blog please let me know. Did you notice I still have your blog linked on the right?

      Delete